Books on Dr Satya Vrat Shastri
on Prof. Shastri
by Satya Vrat Shastri
All rights reserved.
listen carefully as Prof. Shastri speaks
* Click on the top text to download
papers at national and international conferences, seminars, workshops
and summer schools, some of the more important of them being:
1. A Summer School of Jainological Research in Delhi in 1974.
2. II World Sanskrit Conference at Torino, Italy in June, 1975. Subsequently,
visited the Federal Republic of Germany and delivered lectures in the
3. III World Sanskrit Conference at Paris, France in June, 1977 and
subsequently went to Belgium, the Federal Republic of Germany, G.D.R.,
Poland, Hungary and Italy and delivered lectures in the universities
4. International Gita Conference at Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia in August,
5. Delivered lectures in 14 universities in Canada and U.S.A. in October-November,
1987. Also visited Japan and had discussions with the Indologists there.
6. Addressed the Royal Nepal Academy, Kathmandu in May, 1979.
7. Seminar on the influence of Pali on the Thai Language, Chiengmai
University, Chiengmai, Thailand, October, 1979.
8. Delivered lectures in the universities in Tokyo and Kyoto, September-October,
9. International Seminar on Panini in Poona, July, 1981.
10. World Sanskrit Conference at Varanasi, October, 1981.
11. Asian Conference on Religion and Peace, New Delhi, November, 1981.
12. First International Symposium on the Sanskrit Language in Mexico,
13. Hindi-Italian Dictionary Project Committee Meeting in Rome, May,
14. International Gita Conference at Bangkok, Thailand, December 1982.
15. XXXI International Congress of Human Sciences in Tokyo and Kyoto,
August - September, 1983.
16. III World Hindi Conference, New Delhi, October, 1983.
17. VI World Sanskrit Conference, Philadelphia, U.S.A., October, 1984.
18. First European Conference on Vedic Science, Vlodrop, Holland, February,
19. II International Conference on the Ramayana, Bangkok, Thailand,
20. International Seminar on Ramayana Traditions and National Cultures
in Asia, Lucknow, India, October, 1986.
21. III International Ramayana Conference, Toronto, Canada, July, 1987.
22. VII World Sanskrit Conference, Leiden, Holland, August, 1987.
23. International Workshop on Health and Illness-A Comparison
of the Concept in India and Europe, Venice, Italy, March, 1988.
24. VI International Ramayana Conference, Mauritius, August, 1990.
25. International Conference on the Ramayana in Performing Arts, Bangkok,
Thailand, April, 1991.
26. IX International Gita Conference, New Delhi, December, 1991.
27. International Ramayana Conference, Torino, Italy, April, 1992.
28. IX International Ramayana Conference, Denpasar, Bali, Indonesia,
29. International Seminar on Valmiki Ramayana-Higher Criticism, Baroda,
30. Southeast Asia Regional Gita Conference, Hong Kong, March, 1994.
31. International Seminar on Puranas--Cultural and Philosophical Perspective,
K.J. Somaiya Bharatiya Sanskriti Peetham and the Department of Philosophy,
University of Bombay, Bombay, Jan., 1997.
32. Xth World Sanskrit Conference, Bangalore, 1997.
33. All India Oriental Conference, 39th Session, Vadodara, Oct. 13-15,
34. International Forum on Genuine Civilization in 21st Century, Saraburi,
Thailand, May 1-3, 1999.
35. National Seminar on Secular Concepts in the World Religions, K.J.
Somaiya Bharatiya Sanskriti Peetham and the Department of Culture, Govt.
of India, Mumbai, Dec. 18-21, 1998.
36. International Conference on Sanskrit and Related Studies, University
of Warsaw, Warsaw, Poland, October 7-10, 1999.
37. International Conference on the Great Religions of Asia to study
the Concept and Practice of Karuna (Compassion) in Hindu-Bauddha Philosophy,
Siddharthanagar, Lumbini, Nepal, Nov. 19-21, 1999.
38. 16th International Ramayana Conference, New Delhi and other cities
of India, Dec. 12-22, 1999.
39. Indo-Hungarian Ramayana Conference: Role of the Solar Dynasty in
the Asian and Ancient Hungarian Culture, Budapest, Hungary, June 2-4,
40. 17th International Conference on the Ramayana, Bangkok, Thailand,
Nov. 29-Dec. 1, 2000.
41. National Seminar on Sanskrit and Environment, S.N.D.T. Women's University,
Mumbai, Jan. 19, 2001.
42. International Seminar for Interfaith Dialogue on Mahavakyas in Hinduism
and Christianity, K.J. Somaiya Bharatiya Sanskriti Peetham, Mumbai,
Interfaith Dialogue Centre, Sassari, Italy, the Department of Oriental
Studies, University of Torino and University of Florence, Italy, February,
43. International Conference on Sanskrit in Southeast Asia : Harmonizing
Factor of Cultures, Silpakorn University, Bangkok, Thailand, May, 21-22,
44. National Colloquium on the Future of the 21st Century, June 2-3,
2003, Bharatiya Bhasha Parishad, Kolkata, June, 2001.
45. International Seminar on "The Artistic, Cultural and Literary Variations
of Ramayana Worldwide", Northern Illinois University, U.S.A., September
46. International Seminar on Buddhism in Global Perspective, K.J. Somaiya
centre for Buddhist Studies, Mumbai, March 13-15, 2002. Presided over
the Session on March 14, 2002.
47. National Seminar on "Myths in Contemporary Indian Literature" Sahitya
Akademi, New Delhi, Feb. 19-21, 2002. Presented a paper on Myths in
Contemporary Sanskrit Literature.
48. Public Conversations on Metamorphic and Cosmogonic Myths, Le Bienalle
di Venezia (Venice), Italy, Sept. 11-22, 2002. Gave a Public Conversation
on "Cosmogony : Indian Point of View".
49. International Conference on "East and West : Different Theories
and Medical Systems", CESMEO, Internatinal Institute of Advanced Asian
Studies, Torino, Italy, Oct. 10-12, 2002. Gave inaugural presentation
on "Suffering : How Indian Thinkers Look at it".
50. All India Oriental Conference, 41 Session, Puri, Orissa, Dec. 14-16,
51. National Seminar on "Philosophy of Indian Nationalism and Value-oriented
Education", Kolkata, Feb. 23-25, 2003.
52. International Conference on the "Yogavasistha Maharamayana," Punjabi
University, Patiala, Feb., 26-28, 2003.
53. XXIX Annual Congress of the Epigraphical Society of India and XXIII
Annual Conference of the The Place Name Society of India, K.J. Somaiya
Centre of Buddhist Studies, Mumbai, May 17-19, 2003. Presided over the
Southeast Asia section.
54. Samayasara Drstanta Sangosthi, Kundakunda Bharati Sansthan, New
Delhi, June 5-6, 2003. Presided over the Concluding Session.
55. National Conference on "History and Archaeology of Sukhothai," Sukhothai,
Thailand, Sept. 6-8, 2003.
56. National Seminar on "The Ramayana Tradition in Historical Perspective,"
H.N.B. Garhwal University, Srinagar, Nov. 4-5, 2003.
57. National Seminar on "Myth in Contemporary Indian Literature," Sahitya
Akademi, New Delhi, .2004
57. National Seminar on "Myth in Contemporary Indian Literature," Sahitya
Akademi, New Delhi, Feb. 19--21, 2003.
58. International Conference on "Contribution of Buddhism to the World
Culture," K.J. Somaiya Centre for Buddhist Studies, Mumbai, March 11--14,
59. International Seminar on the "Mahabharata : Texts, Contexts,
Readings", Sahitya Akademi, New Delhi, March 27--29, 2004.
60. International Seminar on "Currents of Spirituality : Hinduism
and Christianity", Interna tional Cente for Inter-faith Dialogue,
International Mariapolis, Rome, April 17--22, 2004.
61. National Seminar on "Bharatiya Bhashaon men Rashtrabhakti-
paraka Sahitya (Patriotic Literature in Indian Languages)", Bharatiya
Sanskriti Sansad, Kolkata, October 1--3, 2004.
62. International Conference on "Religions and SAcred Mountains",
Torino and Sacred Moun tains and Sanctuary of Crea, Italy, Oct. 12--16,
63. All India Kalidasa Samaroha, Ujjain, Nov. 22--28, 2004. Was Sarasvata
Atithi (Guest of Honour there).
64. National Seminar on "Mrcchakatika--Reassessment in 21st Century",
The Asiatic Society, Kolkata, Jan. 5--6, 2005.
65. National Seminar on "The Impact of Sanskrit Literature on Modern
Indian Literature", Sahitya Akademi, Kolkata, March 28--30, 2005.
66. International Conference on "Maharsi Valmiki", Central
Valmik Sabha, U.K. and Aston University, Birmingham, U.K., April 10--13,
67. Second International Conference on " Ramayana in the Global
Context", Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, Illinois, U.S.A.,
June 4--5, 2005.
68. International Seminar on "Indo-Thai Historical and Cultural
Linkages", jointly organized by the Embassy of Thailand in India
and the Indian Council for Cultural Relations, New Delhi., September
5-6, 2005. Presented a paper on "Sanskritic Vocabulary of Thai".
69. International Seminar on "Prayer, Peace and Unconditional Love",
K.J. Sommaiya Bharatiya Samskriti Peetha, Mumbai, November 20-23, 2005.
70. Workshop on "Manuscriptology and Paleaography", Special
Centre for Sanskrit Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi,
February 2-10, 2006.Delivered a lecture on the subject on February 6,
71. International Seminar on "Dharma and Abhidharma", K.J.
Somaiya Centre of Buddhist Studies, Mumbai, March 6-9, 2006.
72. National Seminar on "Anandamayadhikaranam" (of Brahmasutra),
Poornaprajna Samshodhanamandiram, Bangalore, March 25-26, 2006. Delivered
the Inaugural Address and presided over the First Session.
73. National Seminar on "Post-independence Sanskrit Literature:
Socio-cultural Paradigms", organized jointly by the Indian Institute
of Advanced Study, Shimla and the University of Patna, Patna, April
26-28, 2006. Delivered the Key-note Address.
74. Delivered three lectures at the Centre for Advanced Study in Sanskrit,
University of Poona, Pune, on "Rama Story in Southeast Asia",
July 19-21, 2006.
75. National Seminar on "Sanskrit for Innovation", Centre
for Advanced Study in Sanskrit, University of Poona, Pune, July 24-27,
2006. Delivered the Key-note Address.
76. Second International Seminar on "Indo-Thai Historical and Cultural
Linkages: The Contemporary Scenario", organized jointly by the
Embassy ogf Thailand in India and the ICCR (Indian Council for Cultural
Relations), New Delhi, August 21-23, 2006. Presented a paper on "The
Heritage Sites of Thailand: Sukhothai and Kamphaeng Phet--The Brahmanic
Artifacts". Also delivered the Valedictory Address.
77. 22nd International Conference on Ramayana, Birmingham, U.K., September
1-4, 2006. Presented a paper on "The Valmiki Ramayana and the Thai
Ramayana : A Study in Comparison".
78. All India Oriental Conference, 43rd Session, University of Jammu,
Jammu, October 12-14, 2006. Was Sarasvsata-atithi (Guest of Honour)
at the Valedictory Session.
79. Kalidasa Samaroha at Ujjain, November 1-3, 2006. Presented a paper
at the International Seminar on "Indian Classics in Modern and
Post-modern Times", on "Kalidasa's Kavyas Retold by Modern
Sanskrit Playwrights. Also presided over the Seminar on the second day,
i.e. November 3, 2006.
80. Delivered a lecture at the Centre for Advanced Study in Sanskrit,
University of Poons, Pune, on "Kalidasa Study: A New Perspective,
November 30, 2006.
81. Colloquium on "South Asian Civilization: An Overview",
Tilak Maharashtra Vidyapeethj, Pune, January 19-21, 2007. Delivered
the Key-note Address on "Orientalism and its Impact on Sanskrit
AWARDS & DECORATIONS
C-248 Defence Colony,
New Delhi - 110024, India
email: [email protected]